Telit’s GS2K to WE310F5 Migration FAQ
1. Telit has decided to End-Of-Life their GS2K product series. What are recommended replacements for customers?
Telit’s WE310F5 Wi-Fi/BLE5 Module is a recommended replacement for GS2K Wi-Fi product variants.
The WE310F5 is a fully integrated, single-band Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE5) combination module that provides low-cost, highspeed wireless connection to an embedded microcontroller over UART, SPI, and SDIO interfaces.
Comprehensive software features are exposed through AT (Attention) commands. The WE310F5 is secured with the next generation Wi-Fi security specification, WPA3 protocol.
The WE310F5 supports two variants:
2. Is the WE310F5 a drop-in replacement for GS2K modules?
The WE310F5 is NOT a drop-in replacement for GS2K modules. A redesign is required to account for size and pin count differences between WE310F5 and GS2K modules.
3. What are major hardware differences between GS2K products and the WE310F5 module?
In comparison with GS2K modules, the WE310F5 is smaller in size and differs in pin count. GS2K modules also lack a USB interface, whereas the WE310F5 is furnished with one USB-device interface that supports CDC with an Abstract Control Models (ACM) as a virtual COM port. Additionally, the WE310F5 only supports Serial Wire Debug (SWD), is equipped with one Wake pin, and provides single channel Successive Approximation Register (SAR) Analog to Digital Converters (ADC). In contrast, GS2K modules support JTAG and additional Wake pins.
4. What are major software differences between the GS2K product series and the WE310F5 module?
GS2K products use ARM Cortex M3, while the WE310F5 supports ARM cortex M33. While both modules support APP and WLAN types of CPUs, the WE310F5 additionally supports BLE as a compatible CPU. GS2K products can only provide 100 KB as a customer’s maximum application code size. Compared to the GS2K product series, the WE310F5 can support up to 700 KB of application code sizing.
An added feature of IoT devices that integrate WE310F5 technology is that they are secured with cutting-edge WPA3 protocol.
5. What approvals does the WE310F5 have?
The WE310F5 will support the following approvals:
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- European Conformity (CE)
- Wi-Fi Alliance
- Bluetooth Special Interest Group (BT SIG)
6. What resources or documentation is available for successful migration between the GS2K product line and the WE310F5?
Telit has extensive documentation available to make this transition easy and smooth for customers:
7. How can I start evaluating WE310F5 for my design?
You can start assessing the WE310F5 through evaluation boards. The WE310F5 EVB is a tool designed for engineers, programmers and developers. The system was designed to provide users with a complete development environment and is intended to incorporate Telit’s WE310F5-I/P module and Arduino Uno Rev3 board.
Stay up to date with industry and supplier news!