From InvenSense: "Smartphone cameras get boost from TDK's new image stabilization software controller, designed for Qualcomm Snapdragon Mobile Platforms"
- The biggest Mobile World Congress (MWC) smartphone imaging trends like larger image sensors, glass lens optics and optical zoom all require a new Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) approach to support these heavier premium optics.
- Camera modules containing actuators improve image quality by moving optical components with a high level of precision. Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) is an innovative new OIS actuator solution that can move heavier premium optics.
- TDK has partnered with Cambridge Mechatronics Limited (CML), a smart materials engineering company that designs SMA actuators, to develop a software controller that combines CML’s SMA control logic with TDK’s motion vectors.
- The unique SMA OIS software controller has been designed specifically for the Qualcomm® Sensor Execution Environment in Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ Mobile Platforms, which can greatly accelerate the adoption of premium optics by OEMs using Snapdragon mobile platforms.
- Being demonstrated on a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ Mobile Platform the solution will be shown Feb. 25-28 at MWC, Hall 2, Executive Meeting Rooms 219Ex and 217Ex, in Barcelona, Spain.
TDK Corporation’s (TSE:6762) group company, InvenSense, Inc., announces the launch of the industry’s first SMA OIS software controller specifically designed to leverage the Qualcomm® Sensor Execution Environment, and enable the adoption of premium optics in smartphone cameras for Android Flagship. The solution leverages TDK SMA actuators and TDK’s latest 6-axis CORONA premium motion sensors to provide a software controller based on CML’s innovative SMA image stabilization designs and control logic.
“Unlike other OIS solutions that require a dedicated OIS controller chip, the advantage of TDK’s SMA software controller is that it avoids the need for such a dedicated OIS controller chip,” said Lars Johnsson, senior director of Product Marketing, InvenSense, a TDK Group Company. “This reduces the cost and complexity of developing and commercializing SMA OIS solutions and enables OEMs to accelerate their next-generation imaging flagship launches on select Snapdragon mobile platforms that support the Qualcomm Sensor Execution Environment.”
“We are focused on offering the highest performance and most feature-rich Snapdragon mobile platforms to our global OEM customer base,” said Manvinder Singh, VP for Snapdragon Product Management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “We have created the Qualcomm® Software Accelerator Program in that spirit, to enable industry leaders like TDK, to provide innovative solutions that work with our Snapdragon mobile platforms. We’re excited that InvenSense has taken advantage of the Qualcomm Software Accelerator Program to develop its SMA OIS software controller for the Qualcomm Sensor Execution Environment framework.”
“This is a further endorsement of our longstanding partnership with TDK, with whom we work closely to provide our SMA technology and the associated software control algorithms for use in TDK’s SMA OIS SW controller,” said Andy Osmant, managing director at CML. “The launch of the new SMA OIS controller will accelerate the adoption of our SMA technology across smartphone OEMs.”
TDK and its group companies are offering a comprehensive portfolio of sensors, electronic components and solutions for mobile platforms, and will be at MWC19. The new SMA OIS software controller solution will be showcased in conjunction with CML, and demonstrations are available February 25-28 in the executive meeting rooms #219Ex and #217Ex, Hall 2, Fira Gran Via, Barcelona, Spain. To schedule press and partner meetings at the show, contact email@example.com. Please visit: www.invensense.com or contact InvenSense Sales at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- OIS: Optical Image Stabilization
- SMA: Shape Memory Alloy
- 6-Axis: 3-Axis Gyroscope + 3-Axis Accelerometer
Looking to integrate InvenSense products with your design? Our Applications Engineers offer free design and technical help for your latest designs. Contact us today!
Why partner with Symmetry Electronics? Symmetry's technical staff is specially trained by our suppliers to provide a comprehensive level of technical support. Our in-house Applications Engineers provide free design services to help customers early in the design cycle, providing solutions to save them time, money and frustration. Contact Symmetry for more information.