Micronas Hall Effect Sensors for Industrial Applications Part 8
Robust Multi-Purpose Programmable Linear Hall-Effect Sensors
Package: TO92UT leaded
Ordering Code: HAL835UT-A
Interface: Analog, PWM
Temp. Range: -40°C to +170°C
Micronas offers the world’s broadest range of Hall-effect sensors, which are increasingly being utilized in a variety of industrial applications, including factory and process automation; building, home, and office automation; medical applications; mobility and robotics controllers; agriculture and heavy machinery; garden and power tools; and household items such as washing machines, tumble dryers, induction cookers, and heating and cooling (HVAC) systems.
The HAL835 is a universal magnetic field sensor with linear output based on the Hall effect. The IC can be used for angle or distance measurements when combined with a rotating or moving magnet. The major characteristics like magnetic field range, sensitivity, output quiescent voltage (output voltage at B = 0 mT), and output voltage range are programmable in a nonvolatile memory. The sensor has a ratiometric output characteristic, which means that the output voltage is proportional to the magnetic flux and the supply voltage. It is possible to program several devices connected to the same supply and ground line.
The HAL835 features a temperature-compensated Hall plate with choppered offset compensation, an A/D converter, digital signal processing, a D/A converter with output driver, an EEPROM memory with redundancy and lock function for the calibration data, an EEPROM for customer serial number, a serial interface for programming the EEPROM, and protection devices at all pins. It is programmable by modulating the supply voltage. No additional programming pin is needed. The easy programmability allows a 2-point calibration by adjusting the output voltage directly to the input signal (like mechanical angle, distance, or current). In addition, the temperature compensation of the Hall IC can be fit to common magnetic materials by programming first and second order temperature coefficients of the Hall sensor sensitivity. This enables operation over the full temperature range with high accuracy. The calculation of the individual sensor characteristics and the programming of the EEPROM memory can easily be done with a PC and the application kit from Micronas.
The sensor is designed for hostile industrial applications and operates with typically 5 V supply voltage in the ambient temperature range from -40 °C up to 160 °C.
Due to the sensor’s versatile programming characteristics and low temperature drift, the HAL83x is the optimal system solution for applications such as:
- Contactless potentiometers
- Pedal, throttle and EGR systems
- Distance measurements
- Current measurement
- High-precision linear Hall effect sensor family with 12 bit ratiometric analog output and digital signal processing
- Multiple programmable magnetic characteristics in a non-volatile memory (EEPROM) with redundancy and lock function
- Operates from -40 °C up to 170 °C junction temperature
- Operates from 4.5 V up to 5.5 V supply voltage in specification and functions up to 8.5 V
- Operates with static magnetic fields and dynamic magnetic fields up to 2 kHz
- Programmable magnetic field range from +/-30 mT up to +/-150 mT
- Open-circuit (ground and supply line break detection) with 5 kΩ pull-up and pull-down resistor, overvoltage and undervoltage detection
- For programming an individual sensor within several sensors in parallel to the same supply voltage, a selection can be done via the output pin
- Temperature characteristics are programmable for matching common magnetic materials
- Programmable clamping function
- Programming through a modulation of the supply voltage
- Overvoltage and reverse-voltage protection at all pins
- Magnetic characteristics extremely robust against mechanical stress
- Short-circuit protected push-pull output
- EMC and ESD optimized design
- Very low offset and sensitivity drift over temperature
- Selectable PWM output with 11 bit resolution and 8 ms period
- Back-bias cancellation function
- 14 bit multiplex analog output
- +/-15 mT magnetic range
Symmetry Electronics is an authorized Micronas distributor.
Stay up to date with industry and supplier news!