From MediaTek: MediaTek 5G SoC unveiled for the first wave of 5G flagship devices
MediaTek has just unveiled its new premium smartphone chip with 5G modem and the latest CPU, GPU and APU technologies built in. Targeting the first save of fully-integrated, flagship 5G smartphones launching from the start of 2020, this 7nm FinFET SoC is the most advanced smartphone chip MediaTek has ever produced.
- Helio M70 5G modem built-in: The MediaTek-designed Helio M70 5G modem is fully integrated into the SoC for maximum performance and power-efficiency.
- New AI architecture: Sports an all new AI processing unit that supports more advanced AI applications and AI-camera enhancements.
- Innovative 7nm FinFET: Worlds’ first 5G SoC built on the cutting-edge 7nm production process for big energy savings in a compact package.
- Latest CPU technology: Using the just announced, new Arm Cortex-A77 CPU it’s a true performance powerhouse.
- State-of-the-art GPU: Using the just announced, new Arm Mali-G77 GPU it enables incredible streaming and gaming experiences.
- Speedy throughput: A peak 5G throughput of 4.7Gps download (sub-6GHz) and New Radio (NR) 2 Component Carrier (CC) support. Supports both non-standalone (NSA) and standalone (SA) 5G network architectures.
- Powerful Multimedia & Imaging performance: Supports 4K video encode/decode at 60fps and super high-resolution cameras (80MP).
- Power Efficient: Intelligent power savings and comprehensive power management throughout
- Multi-mode support: 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G with dynamic bandwidth switching technology for the best connectivity based on user needs and power-efficiency.
The new chip will be sampling shortly in Q3 2019 and will be launching in commercial devices by Q1 2020. Full specifications and official naming of the MediaTek 5G SoC will be introduced in the coming months.
Leading 5G NR capabilities
The 5G SoC’s integrated Helio M70 modem supports LTE and 5G dual connectivity (EN-DC) with dynamic power sharing capability, plus multi-mode support for every cellular connectivity generation from 2G to 5G. It features dynamic bandwidth switching technology that allocates 5G bandwidth required for specific applications to improve modem power efficiency by 50 percent and extend battery life
Global Cellular Operator Support
MediaTek already works with leading cellular operators, equipment makers and suppliers to verify the market readiness of its 5G technologies for mobile and also for smart homes and smart cars.
The MediaTek 5G SoC is designed for global Sub-6GHz 5G networks that are launching throughout Asia, North America and Europe.
Beyond the SoC, MediaTek also works together with 5G RF component suppliers, device designers and worldwide cellular operators to bring a complete, standards-based and optimized 5G solution to the market quickly. Companies collaborating with MediaTek on RF technology include Oppo, Vivo and top tier RF suppliers like Skyworks, Qorvo, and muRata, designing the front-end module that can accommodate 5G and still keep the device slim and stylish.
Looking to integrate MediaTek products with your design? Our Applications Engineers offer free design and technical help for your latest designs. Contact us today!
Why partner with Symmetry Electronics? Symmetry's technical staff is specially trained by our suppliers to provide a comprehensive level of technical support. Our in-house Applications Engineers provide free design services to help customers early in the design cycle, providing solutions to save them time, money and frustration. Contact Symmetry for more information.
Stay up to date with industry and supplier news!