From Digi: "Announcing Support for Android Oreo on Digi ConnectCore 6 SOMs and SBCs"
Digi is pleased to announce we are rolling out support this week for Android 8.0 Oreo – a release Google describes as “smarter, faster, more powerful and sweeter than ever.”
Android is a well-known operating system for mobile devices, but it’s also increasingly being adopted as a more general embedded operating system for high-end, graphic- and multimedia-intensive embedded products. And now it’s available on the Digi ConnectCore® 6 system-on-module and single board computer.
What are the key drivers of increased adoption of Android in the embedded space?
- Android offers an easy, UI-rich application development environment.
- Its large developer community can quickly develop applications with rich graphical user interfaces.
- There are many available Android APIs for hardware access.
- Android applications can make use of camera, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and other hardware interfaces with clean easy to use and well documented APIs. Developers have no need to understand the underlying system.
- Android Studio provides a fully featured IDE to design, develop and debug Android applications.
- Because Android is an open source, royalty-free, Linux-based development environment, the availability of development tools and community support is tremendous.
All of the above make embedded Android a great choice for quick cost-effective prototyping, with the assurance that the same hardware, operating system and applications can be used in demanding production environments.
Built on NXP’s i.MX platform, Digi ConnectCore SOMs and SBCs are an effective way to rapidly build intelligence into devices. ConnectCore modules are ultra-compact and versatile solutions to get to market by virtually eliminating the traditional risk, effort, and complexity of custom board designs, without sacrificing flexibility or capabilities.
In addition to supporting Android Oreo, ConnectCore 6 offers pre-integrated connectivity with scalable performance, reliability in harsh environments and these additional features:
- Pre-certified Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi integration
- Digi XBee RF module and cellular connectivity options
- Gigabit Ethernet support
- Multi display/camera and audio support
- External storage, expansion connectors
Get Started with Digi Embedded for Android on the ConnectCore 6 SBC right now. And watch this space for the upcoming Digi Embedded for Android releases for other Digi Embedded platforms like the ConnectCore 6 Plus and the ConnectCore 8X.
Stay up to date with industry and supplier news!